We have all read countless posts on how Charlotte Mason has changed, helped, and encouraged children. What a profound difference she has made in the lives of children.
Only heaven will someday declare all the good work she has done!
I have spent so many hours this summer studying her writings and pondering her thoughts. This one thought struck me, "Charlotte Mason changes moms, too!"
Charlotte Mason gives mothers a quiet confidence in their calling...that confidence is the foundation of who we are as women, wives, mothers, teachers, friends, and servants.
7 Ways Charlotte Mason Changes YOU
1. You view your children and humanity in a whole new way...Charlotte Mason taught us, "Children are born persons..". In a society that does not value children and life, Charlotte Mason does! When you value children, you value humanity!
2. You are a more relaxed mom! The terrible two's aren't so terrible anymore! Charlotte Mason taught us to train our toddlers and work on habit training from babyhood. We work hard to train our children and relax AND trust the process!
"In this time of extraordinary pressure, educational and social, perhaps a mother’s first duty to her children is to secure for them a quiet and growing time, a full six years of passive receptive life, the waking part of it for the most part spent out in the fresh air." ~ Charlotte Mason
3. You work hard on relationships. Charlotte Mason taught us that our children learn from what they love and from relationships. As moms, we work hard to maintain our children's "hearts" and run a "humming along home" that fosters and values relationships. While it isn't always easy, we remember how important relationships are!
4. You finish your tasks. Gone are the days of unfocused work. Charlotte Mason taught us to acquire the habit of attention. We model this habit for our children and finish what we start. "Every day, every hour, the parents are either passively or actively forming those habits in their children upon which, more than upon anything else, future character and conduct depend." ~ Charlotte Mason
5. You are in touch with nature as much as your children. Charlotte Mason taught us to bring our children outside as much as possible every day. You have discovered the joy of being outdoors just like you did when you were little. Remember when it was a joy to be outside? Charlotte Mason moms have a love for the outdoor life.
"We all have need to be trained to see, and to have our eyes opened before we can take in the joy that is meant for us in this beautiful life." ~ Charlotte Mason
6. You stop and admire God's creation. Instead of rushing, we stop and admire all that God has made. When you children say, "come look at this, mom!" We put down the dishes and check it out with them. We are amazed at the beauty of a spider web, the chirping of a toad, and smell of a rose. Charlotte Mason taught us to be observers.
"Never be within doors when you can rightly be without." ~ Charlotte Mason
7. You cultivate a rich home environment. Charlotte Mason said, "Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life". You strive to make an atmosphere that feeds children ideas. Your atmosphere is full of living books, orderliness,conversation, nourishing food, rich relationships, parental attention, and beautiful images to look at.
"Education is a life; that life is sustained on ideas; ideas are of spiritual origin, and that we get them chiefly as we convey them to one another. The duty of parents is to sustain a child's inner life with ideas as they sustain his body with food." ~ Charlotte Mason
Charlotte Mason isn't just for children, her teachings are for all of us. I started this year studying Charlotte Mason through the lens of childhood, but discovered how much more Charlotte Mason and her teachings are a lifestyle.
Training our children and living an educational life isn't boxed up between certain hours of the day. I grew up in public school, I know how that goes! Education is confined to certain hours of the day.
When I first started homeschooling I really knew none of the above. I guess I never thought too deeply about issues like education and child rearing. My deep thinking life was spent on spiritual matters and I never saw the big picture. That is why I say Charlotte Mason changed my world so much. I have not only learned her philosophies, I have tested them and seen the results. So many other moms across the world have witness those same results.
Join Charlotte Mason Kindergarten. We are a community that promotes living an educational life, old fashioned childhood, and encourages you!