(This post contains affiliate links to Amazon, please see my disclosure for more details)
Our very first year homeschooling, we had a mini unit study on apples in September. We did a lot of fun apple activities and read books that week. There are my top 5 living books on apples for Kindergarten:
1. Johnny Appleseed The story of John Chapman and how apple tree seeds spread throughout the Midwest.
2. How Do Apples Grow? A book about the growth process of apples from seed to fruit. A living science book.
3. Apples, Apples Everywhere! Take a trip to the apple orchard and discover how apples are picked and stored. Be careful! Some apples have worms!
4. APPLES A brief history of apples and the early colonists. Also includes clear diagrams and important apple vocabulary.
5. The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree A nature book about one young boy's tree. I love this simple book because it goes through the cycle of one particular tree in one year through the eyes of a little boy.
September is for apples. One fun activity for you and your children is to sample and learn about the different varieties of apples this year. Go to the grocery store together and buy 5 different varieties of apples. Before you slice them, talk about the differences in each apple. Colors and texture differences. Slice them and talk about the taste differences.
We did this activity 10 years ago and my older students (not teenagers) still know the difference in apple varieties.
Enjoy apple season!